How can I tell if it's prolapse?

offdagridsoon

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Ontario
One of our Cayuga girls has *something* protruding from her vent. The first thought that went through my mind was "prolapse!". It doesn't look 100% like any of the pictures that came up on Google when I searched for duck prolapses, so I'm not sure how to be positive that's what it is... Our ducks, while they recognize us as as protectors and providers of food, are not exactly cuddly with us...they're a little on the skittish side, to be honest. I have my doubts that I could get my hands on said girlie without waiting for my husband to get home to assist, and I don't want to stress her unduly.

I've looked through some of the threads dealing with prolapse and am thinking it may be best (if that *is* what it is..) to start with a warm bath. We haven't any PreparationH in the house, so I'd have to wait for husband to get home with it before I could use that mixed with honey (what I noticed a couple others here had used on their prolapsed ducks).

Any other suggestions? Should she be seen by the vet to be put on antibiotics? We've got some Tylan50 injectible here, but I'm not sure if that would be an appropriate antibiotic. We don't have an isolation box, and so it will be a struggle to put her someplace where she's in the dark (to prevent her from laying)...will this be absolutely necessary? If so, we'll have to find a way to make it happen, I'm just not sure how.

Would appreciate ANY advice anyone can give, really...I've never had this in any of our birds. :(

One of our Cayuga girls has *something* protruding from her vent. The first thought that went through my mind was "prolapse!". It doesn't look 100% like any of the pictures that came up on Google when I searched for duck prolapses, so I'm not sure how to be positive that's what it is... Our ducks, while they recognize us as as protectors and providers of food, are not exactly cuddly with us...they're a little on the skittish side, to be honest. I have my doubts that I could get my hands on said girlie without waiting for my husband to get home to assist, and I don't want to stress her unduly.

I've looked through some of the threads dealing with prolapse and am thinking it may be best (if that *is* what it is..) to start with a warm bath. We haven't any PreparationH in the house, so I'd have to wait for husband to get home with it before I could use that mixed with honey (what I noticed a couple others here had used on their prolapsed ducks).

Any other suggestions? Should she be seen by the vet to be put on antibiotics? We've got some Tylan50 injectible here, but I'm not sure if that would be an appropriate antibiotic. We don't have an isolation box, and so it will be a struggle to put her someplace where she's in the dark (to prevent her from laying)...will this be absolutely necessary? If so, we'll have to find a way to make it happen, I'm just not sure how.

Would appreciate ANY advice anyone can give, really...I've never had this in any of our birds. :(
Yes get her in a warm tub of water, you don't want it to dry out, make sure when you put the Prep h and honey that you have very clean hands and try to gently push it back in. She should be kept as quiet as possible and placed in as dark a room as possible, a dog crate makes a good pen for a duck that convalesing, if you can get her some vitamins to put into her water that will help also, Nutri Drench is awesome and can be found at TSC. I have never had a duck with a prolaspe so i don't know if ducks are bad for messing with one or not like chickens will. Please let us know how she is doing.

Thanks so much for your reply! I got her into a nice warm bath in our tub upstairs, so she's living the life of Riley at the moment. ;) DH got home and held her so I could do an up-close look/feel, and she's definitely eggbound. We had a chook with the same problem some time back, so I'm guessing wee ducky should get the same treatment (though I'll be looking that up just to be sure). I massaged internally around the egg with some water-based lubricant and then we put her back into the bath. We've no yogourt to give her at the moment for a quick shot of calcium, so I'll be looking up calcium levels in sour cream (which is all we have at the moment) to see if it may help. We DO have Nutri-drench though, thankfully! It's got some calcium in it, though it doesn't look like much to be honest (minimum of 0.4% and maximum of 0.7%). She's definitely not as swollen (or looking prolapsed) as she was when I first saw her earlier. *phew!*

hugs.gif

Something I have been trying lately to boost calcium levels (and it appears it may be working but it is too early to be sure) is to nab a half a cup or more of crushed oyster shell in a strainer, and swish that around in my ducks' water pot, releasing the fines into the water, turning it a little cloudy or milky looking. They like it just fine and the ones that don't eat enough oyster shell still get that boost.

I suppose grinding up clean egg shells really fine and doing the same with them would work.

The warm water, especially if it is deep enough for her to float in, may be all she needs. At least it should help her relax a bit.

Prayers for you all!

Thank you...we'll have to try that with the oyster shell. She seems happy enough in the tub, but I'm wondering how long is too long to leave her in there. She's looking rather sodden at the moment, but when I drained the tub she tried staying in what water was left. I gave up on totally draining the tub and just refilled it with clean(er) warm water, but I only let it get as high as just over her belly. Hopefully her upper feathers will be able to dry off so she doesn't get a chill...

Thank you...we'll have to try that with the oyster shell. She seems happy enough in the tub, but I'm wondering how long is too long to leave her in there. She's looking rather sodden at the moment, but when I drained the tub she tried staying in what water was left. I gave up on totally draining the tub and just refilled it with clean(er) warm water, but I only let it get as high as just over her belly. Hopefully her upper feathers will be able to dry off so she doesn't get a chill...

after letting her soak put her into a clean warm place where it's quiet and just leave her alone for a while. I'd at least let her soak for 30 to 45 min. that would give her time to relax. if you are putting her in a dog crate cover it so its good and dark. hopefully by tomorrow there will be an egg.
fl.gif
if not start all over again till you get one. enough water to cover her vent but also enough where she is relaxed and not standing. The nutri drench will just give her an extra boost she needs during this stressful time she is going through.

Last edited:
Do you think a large cat/medium-small dog kennel (the kind used to transport them) would be alright for size for her..? It's bigger than a laying box, but I'm not sure how much room she'll need to preen and dry herself off..

It might be a squeeze, but it might be a good size for her. Hard to say from here.

If she has old towels or blankets instead of a high pile of straw it might give her more head room, but the straw might make her feel more comfy.

Oh, baby . . . .

Back
Top Bottom