How can I tell if these eggs r alive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CanChaser, Oct 25, 2011.

1. CanChaser

CanChaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2011
    Hiawatha kansas
    We hatched a couple eggs about 2 weeks ago and there 9 others that haven't hatched. They were not all laid on the same day so I don't know exactly what day they r on. We have been candling them and they all have been progressing but no more hatching. How can I tell if they are alive or died along the way?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    A little more information may be needed.

When you candle the eggs do you see any veins?

Were the eggs ( hatched and unhatched ) all put under a broody hen or in the incubator on the same day? You say you dont know when they were laid- but some kind of idea how long they have been incubated for will help.

3. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Maby some candling photos would be good

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
  5. CanChaser

Oct 15, 2011
    Hiawatha kansas
    Two hens were laying at the time in the same nest box. One hen was sitting but the other wasn't. She had such a pile of eggs that I knew there was no way she could keep them all warm. I took a bunch and put the in the incubator. Our first egg hatched September 29th. Then we had one hatch on the 10th of oct. And another on the 12th. Then a few days later another one hatched but none since. We have been candeling along the way. It looks like they were all progreesing accept a few. There r a few that r full now where we can't hardly see an air pocket. The rest all have small air pockets. I don't know if they died or not. I would think they would b hatching by now right? I will try and take some candling pics.

6. CanChaser

Oct 15, 2011
    Hiawatha kansas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know these arent very good pics

7. CanChaser

Oct 15, 2011
    Hiawatha kansas
    I client get very good pics but u can kinda see. We had one cracked open this morning but the chick wasn't quite done and had sided. I think it had been dead for a while and kind of exploded. I'm guessing the rest are probably dead too. I have 3 that progressed and progressed and now have virtually no air sack so why no more hatching?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by