How can I tell on day old chicks witch one is male and female?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by arianna, Mar 15, 2011.

1. arianna

arianna Songster

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    I want to buy few day old chicks from TSC and want to see if I can get more females (last time I bought more than half of them male). I know there is a way you can tell them apart, but how. This are bantams chicks.

2. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Songster

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    There is a video on you tube that shows how to do it, if you go there, search for hatcheries. But it is for standards mostly, I am not sure if it can be done on bantams? dont know why it wouldnt work.

I do also know that it can only be done for a short time after they hatch, once they are out for a bit, the feathers even out.

Good Luck.

A~

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I saw that video but didn't bookmark it [​IMG]

Basically you are looking at their wing feathers from the last joint to the tip to see if there's one or two 'layers' of feathers.
    Like if it's a girl: lilili
    and a boy: llllll

I think it works better on 2 day olds but never older than 3 days. This is why they don't do it at hatcheries, because they are shipped out at 1 day old or less.

I tried it on my 5 that hatched a week ago and some were really hard to tell, others were perfectly clear. It'll be a while before I know if it worked though, obviously hehe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: