1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can i tell the difference between a black maran and black aussies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by goldielocks, Sep 6, 2009.

1. goldielocks

goldielocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    I have both breeds and wonder if i didnt just get all black aussies...how can i tell the difference?

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I would say that Black Aussies would have MORE red around their faces while Marans would have red combs and wattles, nothing in between unless they are going thru a molt. Also, in some cases, the Aussies would have more Orpington body shape.

You should have gotten them tagged if you were hatching or color code them as chicks. I do that with my Welsummers and Spitzhaubens out of different breeders.

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

By Aussies do you mean Australorps?

5. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    The Black Marans have feathered legs, a higher tail set , white to grey legs and lay dark brown eggs. Australorps have clean legs,a medium tail set,black legs and lay white eggs
    David

6. goldielocks

Sep 2, 2009
    Yes

Quote:

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I believe that blackdotte means that Australorps lay brown eggs, not white.

Australorps also do not generally have the gold/red coloration around the neck. I would personally have more issues figuring between black sex-link and a black copper marans that lacks foot feathering.

8. goldielocks

Sep 2, 2009
    Sorry...my bad. I got kicked off line and when i went back to find my post i wasnt sure where i had posted it..or if it even posted.
    Quote:

9. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    In there country of origin Australorps lay a pale tinted egg, & this would be white in comparison to a Marans egg. Neither a Black Australorp nor a Black Marans should have any colour in the neck hackle, both are silver based, so if you got either with red in the neck hackle I would wonder about their ancestory
    David

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Ah, I forget that there are actually a variety of marans that lack copper. Too many varieties of a breed that used to be nonexistent in the US.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by