how can i tell the gender of my chicks

EastinChickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 4, 2010
Michigan
how can i tell the gender of my chicks at an early age before they start getting there feathers in
tongue.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I believe that the way the hatcheries do it is by checking their wing tips and if it has 2 even rows of feathers then its a roo but if it has 2 rows and there not the same then its a female, but this i believe you can only do it at a very early age probably by day 4 you cant do it anymore, because the difference on their wings becomes less apperent, another way is to vent sex them but that is too difficult and if done the wrong way it can cause a lot of problems to the chick. And those are the only 2 methods that I can think of.

There is this comparison

26477_feather_sexing_chicks.jpg

OR

Saw this on a British chicken forum for older chicks

Heavy Breeds

2 weeks: Female shows a little tail feathering 1/8" to 1/4"; male shows no feathering at all.
3 weeks: Female better feathered than the male - tail and shoulder plumage up to 3/4" long. Male much less feather than the female; shows more fluff and has very little tail, if any.
4weeks: Female shows feathering down back and chest and on thighs, and the tail of a utility breed is 1"+ long:male much more fluff, hardly any back plumage, and a small tail now appearing.
5 weeks: Females legs shorter and thinner than males; her body is longer, tail longer, feathers better; males legs longer and stouter, body shorter and more cobby, tail stumpy, possibly 1" long, not much feather on back and wing bows.
6 weeks: Female hardly any fluff; male much better feathered now but still some bareness at shoulders, back and wing bow.
8 weeks: Female smaller comb than male, abundant plumage, short thin legs,longer tail 1" to 2", and a bold and dashing manner: male taller and larger, almost completely feathered, with comb and wattles increasingly redder and larger.

Light Breeds

2 weeks: Male begins to show tail quite plainly
3 weeks: Difficult to distinguish by tail size, though male usually shows stronger, perkier tail; male grows feathers almost as fast as female.
4 weeks: Male's comb is larger and redder than female's
5 weeks: Male is a little longer in the leg than female, but comb is growing much faster
6 weeks: Males appear taller with definitely stouter legs; pullets have smaller legs and therefore seem closer to the ground.
8 weeks: Definite difference in combs and wattles.

Both

12 weeks: For all types, male seems to stand higher on much stouter legs; headgear definitely red and bigger; spurs usually larger; definite difference in saddle hackles - male's are pointed at the end, female's rounded.

Back
Top Bottom