How can I tell the gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Patches The Hen, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Patches The Hen

Patches The Hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Hi,

I'm am a very new member of the BackYardChickens forum. This is my first post.

My question is about three Black Langshans, they are 6 months and a couple of days old, but I still can't tell if they are roosters or pullets? I got them straight run from the hatchery.
    I have looked at pictures of the pullets and roosters of the breed online but it doesn't seem to help. Could I get a description of they should look like if they are pullets or roosters? I could tell my other breeds apart almost 3 months ago!
    I'm sorry I can't upload any pictures.

Thank you for any help! [​IMG]

2. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] They are the age where you should be getting eggs or crows any day now. Have you looked for pointy, long saddle feathers (on the lower back, at base of tail) and the same long pointy feathers on the neck? Hens will have wide rounded points on those same feathers, instead. The combs and waddles on the cockerels would really be taking off and sprouting up nice and big at this time, as well.

3. Patches The Hen

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow! That was fast!
    Thank you [​IMG]

Curly and Mumble(two of the langshans) do have saddle hackle and neck hackle feathers, Betsie the other langshan, doesn't. The only thing that has me confused is they all have the same sized comb and waddles. And Curly and Mumble don't act like roosters. It's the same way with Betsie, she doesn't act like a hen yet.
    But I bet you're right, the ones with the hackle feather are the roosters [​IMG]

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

4. Patches The Hen

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought I should probably update this,

Curly, Mumble, and Betsie(now Mr. Betsie) are all roosters. Mr. Betsie and Mumble have started crowing. Curly has tried once [​IMG]

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You'd expect one or two cockerels in a straight run of three...but that's just bad luck.

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Sounds like they have more than three. [​IMG]

Are you keeping all three? My cockerel Jagger (BR) has acted like a rooster from a very young age. He's all legs. [​IMG] Still no crows yet!

8. chickenheeler

chickenheeler Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Cusseta
    Post Some Pictures at the age sexing shoule be easy

9. Patches The Hen

Oct 26, 2011
    Quote:Thank you! I'll have to put new batteries in my camera, then I'll take some pictures and post them [​IMG]

10. Patches The Hen

Oct 26, 2011
    Quote:Sounds like they have more than three. [​IMG]

Are you keeping all three? My cockerel Jagger (BR) has acted like a rooster from a very young age. He's all legs. [​IMG] Still no crows yet!

No, I can't keep all three [​IMG]
    But I am going to keep Curly! [​IMG] He's getting prettier and prettier each day. Or should I say handsome?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by