how can i tell the sex of my straight run polish...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by redhen, Jun 1, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i think it may be a bantam....he/she is still small compared to others..the feathers have not come in all the way..he/she is only like 2 weeks old...but i think the head is gonna be white..and there is some grey/blk feathering on wings..with white also..so..any ideas...or do i have to wait till he crows..[​IMG].....i wish i could get pics on here..i'm to dumb to figure it out....the only way i can send pics is thru e-mail..sorry..Wendy

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Once their crest gets some size to it the females have a rounded type hair do and the males have a spikey punk rock look to them.

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    could i tell that now?....he's only 2-3 weeks..not even feathered yet on top..but...it sure looks spikey to me..ahh!![​IMG]..i cant have a rooster!....i dont wanna have to give up"SKI"...we all like him alot already...Wendy

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They all look spikey until they get some length and fullness to them. Wait until he is 4 - 6 weeks old.

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    okay..thanks so much....also...can you get a rooster fixed?...so he wont breed...or crow!....i know...i know..another dumb question!..sorry...[​IMG]...lol..thanks..Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by