How can I tell them apart?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ScissorChick, Mar 18, 2011.

1. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I've got about 20 eggs in the incubator. ( [​IMG] ) But Im the type who has PET chickens,

and like to keep a file for their birthday, color, and any other extra stuff. SO. My question is, what can I

put on the chicks to tell them apart when they hatch? I certainly can't keep a file on them when I don't

know who is who. I've read a bunch of stuff that you can put on them but don't want them pecking and picking

at each others feet (leg bands). Any ideas?

thanks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    It sounds mean but paint a spot on their feathers with a sharpie. like their butts [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have a file too. [​IMG] I photograph each chick and note characteristics like, eye color, leg color (sometimes they have different colored toes), number of toes, feathered legs, etc... Unless you have birds that are perfect "standards" they should have characteristics that you can identify.

You can also use a drop of food coloring on lighter chicks so you can tell them apart.

4. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i thought i was going to have the same problem with mine since mom and dad were both orange... one was yellow and one came out pure black! maybe you'll be lucky too! [​IMG] mine are all pets too, so i understand... i've got information in my brain for 9 chickens, a rat, a goldfish, a dog, a duck, a horse, 3 mini donkeys, a sheep, and over 50 goats that i have raised.... o_O... i think that's everyone... i honestly don't even know anymore.

5. ScissorChick

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    hehe, all mine have names, a picture or two (normally 'bout 500 [​IMG] ) ,

a file with birthday & Birthtime, what they looked like when I candled the egg,

color, personality, and on and on. [​IMG] Will the smell of the sharpie not hurt their lungs?

what about painting a toenail with a certain color of toenail polish?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  6. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    I did the toe nail painting, it doesn't last. if the sharpie spot is on their butt then they shouldn't be able to smell the fumes [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  7. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Toe punches!

8. ScissorChick

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Top coat? [​IMG] hah just kidding. Thanks. I'll probably do the sharpie thing [​IMG]

and maybe the food coloring idea. [​IMG]

9. ScissorChick

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Quote:Toe punches?

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Toe punches?

I don't think I want to know.