How can I tell what gender this chick is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickypen27, Mar 30, 2017.

1. chickypen27

chickypen27 New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    North Carolina
    I have 7 chicks. 6 of them I ordered online,but 1 I got a feed store. It's supposed to be an Ameraucana pullet. Not sure if it's a true Ameraucana, but I'm not worried about that. It seems to be the same age as the rest of my chicks,but it's tail feathers have grown in much slower than the rest of my girls and it seems kind of aggressive towards the others. It may be too soon to tell, but I thought I would ask.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    I'm no expert on the breed, but it does look like a pullet to me...

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    At this point the thing to assess are comb. ...in this bird a nice, single row of peas punting to pullet vs 3 rows that would point to cockerel. As the bird feathers more in the next week or two, pattern will be easier to judge as this pattern showing now points to pullet, but the changes that may come through could point to cockerel.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

5. chickypen27

chickypen27 New Egg

Mar 29, 2017
    North Carolina
    Ok...thanks for the input from everyone. She's the only Ameraucana I have so I don't have another one to compare to. The other chicks are EEs and Welsummers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by