how can I tell what sex they are?

erindubb

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
I am going to exchange a 4 week old rooster Bantam Millie Fluer D'occ.... (I can't remember how to spell it)
tomorrow at a farm for HOPEFULLY a one week old hen of the same breed. I thought I got a hen the first time.
How can I make sure I get a pullet this time. The farmer doesn't know how to sex them. She picked my first one out based on it being lighter than some of the others. Well, whoops - pretty sure its a rooster and I want to exchange it so that the new baby can acclimate to the bigger chicks i already have as soon as possible - so it will be smoother.
How can I tell if its a girl or a boy at only one week. AHHH.

Last edited:
If they are four weeks old you might be able to tell. It is still hard at that age. I am not familiar with that breed. Usually you want to look for a bird with the smallest least red comb. Their hackle feathers also should be rounded not pointed.
I hope you get one!

D'uccles come in different colors, so that is not an indication. When I picked mine I went for one with a little tail and one without. (they were only a few days old) I only got 1 boy
wink.png
It was the one without a tail. Females are supposed to feather in faster. Although there is an exception to every rule, it worked for me.

There are 1/2 dozen different chick sexing methods or should I say "wives tales"
lol.png
but none of them have great results. If I were you, I would just get 2 and rehome a roo if you get one. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom