How can I tell when my chicks are fully feathered?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greenkjb, Jun 18, 2011.

1. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    My chicks are 4 1/2 weeks. At this point they look like mini adults, but their tummies are still fuzzy. I've had them out in the coop during the day (they love it), but it drops to the 50's at night. I have a heat lamp for when they move outside, but I am still worried they will be too cold at night. They are outgrowing their brooder though. Advice anyone? Thanks [​IMG]

2. ninnyeggs

ninnyeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    no more fluff [​IMG] [​IMG] thats what i consider fully feathered haha

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Yeah me too!! When they have lost all of their baby fuzz is what I consider fully feathered. [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree -- but I would move them outside now, or after a night or two in the house without heat, especially since you have a heat lamp. You may find they stay away from it and don't need it, though.

I brood in the coop, and turned the heat lamp off at 3 weeks with lows around 60 because the chicks were sleeping as far away from it as they could.

5. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Thanks Ddawn. They are in the house tonight. the past two nights they cheep and chirp very loudly if the heat lamp is off. It is 73 in my house so I don't think they are cold. Could they hate the dark?
    Thanks again for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by