1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how can i tell who is laying and who is not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Acie, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Acie

Acie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Parma, Idaho
    I have 5 older hens, how do I figure out which ones are still laying? I have 4 new 5 mo. Old barred rocks... Haven't noticed any new egg activity so Idk if any of them are laying yet... What do I do... I need to get rid of the old ones that aren't producing anymore but Idk how to tell?!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    The 5 month old are most likely still not laying. Observe which hens go into nest. Easiest.... I guess you are planning soup.
    How many eggs are you getting now.??? Are any of them going thru molt.??? How old are the OLD hens??? What breed are they.??? these are all relevant questions. You may just have some chickens taking a short break from laying. Not all chickens produce equally.
    HOPE THIS HELPS
    [​IMG]

AND [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. Acie

Acie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Parma, Idaho
    [​IMG]

Sussex? They are 2ish?

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    At 2 years , they still have quite some more laying to do. BY THE WAY, THEY LOOK BEAUTIFUL!!! Give them some time. They just might be on SPRING BREAK =D=D=D
    [​IMG]
    Luv your avitar

5. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Most hens that dont lay have very yellow legs. Their vents are not supple and moist they are dry and tight. To be sure and with only five hens, I would use food coloring, a few drops in the vent and the eggs will be stained according to who laid them... Good luck.

Ps...i agree at two years they are probably still pulling their weight.

6. Acie

Acie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Parma, Idaho
    @SD Bird Lady i never woulda thought of food coloring! Thats interesting! Thank you.

@cavemanrich i inherited the white hens from my father, he says they are around 2... his CRAZY A** wife swears they were old when they got them.... however, her IQ is more than likely less than that of my 5 mo old hens so.... ya know... [​IMG][​IMG]

anyway, are they sussex? idk what they are but they are super sweet. im hoping they are all still laying.... guess when they eggs start rollin in good with all 9 hens, i prolly wont be worried about who is producing...

Thank You!!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    May be Light Brahmas...I don't think Sussex have feathered legs/feet.

Let us know who the food coloring goes.

8. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I ever really looked at the picture. It appears you do have Light Brahma hens. Their laying rates aren't as spectacular as some...i usually average 3-4 eggs a week from my Brahma hens.

9. Acie

Acie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Parma, Idaho
    [​IMG]

I saw one of my pullets in the nesting boxes while 2 of my Brahma hens were in there laying... I sat and peeked thru the window and watched my 2 hens lay... (First time I've witnessed an egg being laid!) I didn't notice the pullet squatting tho. But I did find this egg (in a different box than the one I'd left her in) but its smaller and lighter than what I normally get outta the brahmas... So.... What do you think? Could it possibly be from my barred rock pullet?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by