how can i tell?

SarahF

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Niagara Falls, Ontario CAN
hello...I know i dont have the correct terminology yet, as I am a new chicken mom, two weeks old today, but how can i tell the difference between females and males? I just figured out that I have 4 barred rock and 1 australorp, but i ordered all barred rock. surprise surprise.
If someone could let me know that'd be great.

Here is a photo of my Barred Rock pullet at 1.5 weeks- maybe it will help to compare to yours. The other is a RIR (another BR in the background):

DSC01418.jpg

well, my 4 look like that, and the other has a white face and under the neck to the belly is all white....im so flustered about this. It was my husbands project and now im 'stuck' doing all the work because he is too busy. i feel like i dont know enough. the very first night we had them, one died. and i just found out i cant replace him now because you can not mix ages. and than the man from the feed store asked 'are you sure you have any roosters?' if i could reach thru the phone and choke him i would. how can i tell? any help?

Depends on the breed of course but as they grow...watch for which ones grow out their tail feathers first...these tend to be pullets. The ones who develop combs and wattles first tend to be cockerals...especially if redder! Good Luck!

well, the one that I think is a Australorp is growing feathers much slower than the rest. All the Barred Rock have tail feathers and their wings are very distinctively black and white stripes now. The Aust. is still fuzzy with minimul wing feathers. I'll have to get some pictures up and have you look. I do love them very much, just frustrated with an unexpected responsibility. thank you for your advice and encouragement.

SarahF- I don't see how it'd be a problem to mix ages when they are that young. I've mixed 2 week olds with up to a week olds with no problem. I guess I wouldn't try it with 3 or 4 week olds and week old chicks. Besides, they grow so fast that if you had a couple or 3 week old chicks kept separately, it wouldn't take long before you could put them all together. jmo.

Back
Top Bottom