How can I treat Rooster's broken spur? - now a bloody stump

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KayinVirginia, Feb 9, 2013.

1. KayinVirginia

KayinVirginia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Can anyone advise me? My old rooster, Meriwether has lost one of his spurs, leaving a bloody core about an inch long. It looks very painful. Can I put neosporin on it? Any suggestions?

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Ow. If he'll let you catch him, you might try soaking it for a few minutes in some moderately warm water with epsom salts, maybe wash it off with a little Dawn detergent and warm water first. That will take the pain away and make it feel better. And then I think I would coat it with neosporin and maybe a little vaseline on top of that. If it's still painful, you can crush up a baby aspirin and give it to him in a treat, or yogurt or something, a couple of times a day. You might want to wrap it, if he's going to get it really dirty, but otherwise probably not. How did he break it off?

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Just remember to use the neosporin that does NOT have pain reliever in it. That kind is not good for them. Just use the plain kind.

4. KayinVirginia

Aug 25, 2008
    Thanks, Chicknmania. I didn't know that. Good save!!! I plan to medicate him this evening. I'll use the kind without pain reliever.

5. KayinVirginia

Aug 25, 2008
    I don't know how it happened. I found the spur a couple of days ago, but I just assumed they must shed their claws like cats do. Today I noticed the injury; it's definitely not normal! Poor old guy. He's about 8 years old. The spurs were so long he kept snagging his ankles as he walked. Now his good spur is snagging the injury when he takes a step. Ouch! I have a friend coming over this evening to help me. I won't have any trouble picking him up. I do it fairly often, getting him out of trouble with the younger, dominant rooster. And it'll be after dark, when you can handle them. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

6. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I have read on here that you can trim the spurs, but I have never tried it. Too afraid to. But I'm guessing that if they are white, you would look for the quick and be able to avoid it. I would treat it, and give him the aspirin, for a few days running. You'll be able to tell when it's not bothering him. Good luck!

7. KayinVirginia

Aug 25, 2008
    Hi Chicknmania

Well, I washed the injured spur with antibacterial soap and sprayed it good with water to rinse. Then I coated the injury well with Neosporin. I did this two nights in a row. The spur has scabbed over and looks pretty good tonight. Then a friend of mine helped me trim his remaining spur. He used a little saw. The spur was tougher than I thought it would be, but we got it sawed off. No bleeding. Then we trimmed the spurs on my other rooster - the young one. He is less tame and I wasn't sure how this would go, but it was after dark and he was passive. All my chickens are Buff Orpingtons. They're a wonderfully docile breed. Anyway, all spur trimming was successful, and Meriwether is healing. Thanks for your advice.

8. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    That's good news! I like the Buff Orps too we've only had one but she was one of the first chickens we had.

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    He likely hit at another chicken, missed his mark and hit the coop. It is called a hulled spur.
    If you don't keep their spurs at a reasonable length that is the risk your running.
    Someone posting here last week advocating grabbing a roosters spurs with big pliers and "rocking" the spur back and forth till you hear a POP.

This is the same as pulling you toe or finger nails out by the roots.[​IMG]The bloody stump is the sane as the quick or nail bed on your fingers and toes. I let this pass as urban ignorance last time but I can not be silent any longer.

Kayinvirginia you did the right thing with the 3 remaining spurs..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Ouch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by