How can I trim my chickens beak?

Kessel23

Hi Bug
6 Years
Feb 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Hello everyone, I have this Silkie of an unknown gender named TL. TL is 10 months and 23 days old, for the sake of simplifying my post I will just be calling TL a he. Well anyways TL is having some beak troubles, yesterday his beak was like a raptor beak, the top part curved over the bottom, I only realized at like 12 am so I was not about to ask what to do that late in the night. Well when I woke up today TL had broken his beaks tip off and was clicking the bottom part of his beak on the top part and it seems like TL can not shut his beak all the way. Can someone tell me how I can safely trim TL's beak? I have never had to trim a bird's beak before, usually they keep it short by pecking around at stuff all day, I guess TL is not very active... A few weeks ago he also had nail problems, they were getting really long and twisted like an old hens nails do. I know how to trim a bird's nails and solved that problem pretty fast. Well here are some pictures of his beak-
28458690_924744657701652_1390139915_n.jpg
28313642_924744777701640_1225062768_n.jpg

It was much more curved yesterday but he definitely broke some off somehow.

I trim my bird's beaks with nail clippers and nail files. Just use the clippers to clip off the excess until the top part of the beak is the same length as the bottom (like how it should be) then use the file to file the end of the beak into a round point.
It is painless if you only clip the clear end and doesn't take much more than 10 minutes.

You may need one person to hold the bird while you trim their beak. They like to move their head away.

I trim my bird's beaks with nail clippers and nail files. Just use the clippers to clip off the excess until the top part of the beak is the same length as the bottom (like how it should be) then use the file to file the end of the beak into a round point.
It is painless if you only clip the clear end and doesn't take much more than 10 minutes.

You may need one person to hold the bird while you trim their beak. They like to move their head away.

Ok thanks, I will start to trim his beak now.

Back
Top Bottom