How Can I Trust My Ducks???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cluckcluckluke, Jan 13, 2013.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I just got some new ducks about a week ago, and I know it's not really any different than getting new chickens but how can I trust my ducks, they are terrified of me and of the chickens, they have plenty of space to get away form the hens but I'm still scared they will get stuck in the fence (has already happened) and that they will escape some how and I'm afraid if they escape they will just go(we live in the country). They are Runners so they cant fly.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    First congratulations on your new runners!

And I have found one of the best cures for worry is action.

My first priority would be to get the runners into a safe place (cannot just bolt and disappear), give them some treats and talk gently to them, then get ahold of some fencing and get the fencing fixed.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I agree with Amiga.

They need time to get used to their new surroundings and the animals and people there. You will need to either replace the fencing so they can't get stuck or move them somewhere that they cannot get hurt or escape.

Runners (thats what I started with) are nervous by nature so go slow, no fast movements and if you need to move them somewhere, herd them to go straight at them and try to grab or pick them up. Slow careful movements and talking to them quietly combined with treats will help. They may not take to treats right away. They may think anything associated with you is evil (silly ducks) put some peas or chopped romaine in a pan of water, make sure they see that you put them there and then leave them to find it.

4. cluckcluckluke

This is great help, thanks.
    Today my whole flock is going to be moving from their old coop to a new one only 300metres away form the existing coop, so it's all going to be new for me as well. The fenced of area we have for them in the new run is easily big enough for 2x more fowls than I aeady have right now, so plenty of room. But the ducks if the ducks get scared and try to escape I reckon could still get their necks stuck in the wiring (chicken wire) because of their slim heads and necks. Also I cant get in about 3metres of them without them running off, so I cant catch them unless I heard them into an enclosed area but that stresses them out to much.

Do you reckon if I made a temporary little area in the run area and put the ducks in their with their pool, food, and water that that would help them get used to everything. At the moment they are in a cramped little old bantam roost with a bucket of water (not a high quality duck lifestyle).

They also don't eat ANY treats I give them eg: bread, grapes and lettuce, all of which are supposed to be some of their favourite foods. I will try the peas though that sounds interesting.

They are adult laying ducks when I bought them so It's going to take so much longer to bond with them.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I like the smaller temporary pen idea. They need some bit of room, not good to be cramped, but being in a smaller area for a bit, till they calm down may help.

When I adopted the rescued buffs, it took a while for them to realize the peas I was offering were treats. But now they are enthusiastic. And they still don't like me to get closer than three feet away from them. Meanwhile, Elfie and Zwei run up to me for hugs.

6. cluckcluckluke

Yeah I will go down now and make their own separate little run so that they can go straight in when I decide to move. I will just keep trying with the bread and peas but similar to your case I don't think they will ever be that friendly towards me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by