1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Can I???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Dewey101, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Dewey101

Dewey101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    Ok its getting pretty hot here in the ky and the birds are not liking it very well at all, i can afford getting and running fans to all my pens, is there another way to keep my birds cool???

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Freeze bottles with ice in it and put it in the shadiest part of the run. May want to do a few so you can switch out. Or can you run a mister out to them during the hottest part of the day?

edit - "to do a few" not "to to a few"

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  3. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    make a sweet box out of chicken wire and put frozen fruits like watermelon in it. to find out what a sweet box looks like go to the home page here at BYC and go to learning center. then go to treats, there's a picture of a buff orpington eating out of one. that should help.

4. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank you for asking this question Dewey101, I need to know this too. The weather forecast here for the next 7 days:

94, 97, 97, 97, 95, 95, 93 [​IMG]

And it isn't even summer yet. [​IMG]

5. Dewey101

Dewey101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    i might do the frozen bottle thing, and every once in awhile give them a frozen or cool treat, might work, better than nothing

o yea, no prob

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by