how can Sulmet work on coccidiosis ????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Yvonne37894, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    In rotating back to sulmet I have discovered that the chickens don't drink enough water.
    The first 2 days instructions calls for 1 oz Sulmet in a gallon of water- chickens drank 1/4 the water from the day before.
    The next 4 days 1/2 oz in Gallon of water- chickens drank 1/2 the water the normal drink.
    How can this clear out coccidiosis if they don't drink enough of it?
    Did I need to mix something else in it to disguise the medication?

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    What you want to aim for is concentration, the number of chickens will determine how much water gets consumed. But certanly it is a problem if they go off water and don't get enough water in to carry sufficient meds. For a really sick bird you can work out what a normal chicken consumes in feed or water in a day and then work out an individual does and force feed to make sure the individual chicken gets sufficient meds but it can get hard to measure such a small quantity.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x2 It would be nerve racking if all of them were too sick to drink the medicated water or eat the medicated feed. Force feeding would be the only way to do it. Ugh.

4. Yvonne37894

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    none are so sick that I need to force treat induvidual birds, however, I still don't see how it can work if they won't drink enough of it.
    I've used Corid, Ivamax and others in the water and have never had them not consume enough water before.
    It must taste bad, for a chicken that has to be somthing to look at as they will drink just about anything.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Keep in mind that sulmet only treats 2 types of cocci. Corid treats all 9 types of cocci that chickens can get. You might be dealing with a type that sulmet wont treat.

6. Yvonne37894

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    I have read on BYC so much information about treating coccidiosis,

# 1 rotate products annually

# 2 Corid doesn't do much any more!

I'm rotating this time to sulmit, however, how can it work if they don't drink enough of it?
    I'm following up in 10 days with corid, to be sure everthing is gone.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I've never heard of #1, when it comes to treating cocci with various products, you use what works best because you're dealing with deadly protozoa. #2, I've never heard about that neither. Do you have a link(s) for #1 and #2 ?
    What day are you at using the sulmet? You should see some improvement at least the 3rd or 4th days. If you are at the 3rd or 4th day and havnt seen improvement, this means it could be a different type of cocci and I would start the corid treatment first thing on the 7th day. Here's a link if you want to try other products:
    http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/coccidtable205.pdf

8. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Quote:I had the same issue with my 2 chickens who were ill not drinking the sulmet water so I also added a pack of the "sav-a-chick" electrolytes and vitamins to it and they guzzled it down real fast.

9. Yvonne37894

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    Quote:I've never heard of #1, when it comes to treating cocci with various products, you use what works best because you're dealing with deadly protozoa. #2, I've never heard about that neither. Do you have a link(s) for #1 and #2 ?
    What day are you at using the sulmet? You should see some improvement at least the 3rd or 4th days. If you are at the 3rd or 4th day and havnt seen improvement, this means it could be a different type of cocci and I would start the corid treatment first thing on the 7th day. Here's a link if you want to try other products:
    http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/coccidtable205.pdf

#1 Merk vet manual "Continuous use of anticoccidial drugs promotes the emergence of drug-resistant strains of coccidia."
    and from Peter Brown
    I would treat the Cocci with Sulfadimethoxine for 5 days first then wait 10
    days and treat with Amprol Powder in the drinking water.

Keep em Healthy,

Peter Brown aka The Chicken Doctor

Rotating wormers/ cocci cures is done in other animals why not in chickens also

#2 I did not save the post here on BYC to refer to, just remember reading it

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have always used Sulfadimethoxine. I've never had a problem with how much they drink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by