How can u help these very needy light brahmas?

I had the same problem, but was too soft to let them cry it out!

I would move the entire brooder (a storage tub) into the hallway, which was darker than the living room, but not completely dark. I'd let them snuggle on my arms until they fell asleep, then would gently put them back in the brooder. They'd generally wobble over to the heating plate, and fall asleep again. I also kept a cardboard piece on top to cut down on light.

It sounds like a chore, but they were so cute. They vied to snuggle in my elbows, too. In the end, it worked out, because it was really easy to transition to the coop. They'd still snuggle, and I would just put them on the ramp, and in they went.
I sit in with mine when it gets dark, they’re in a room in my house, because I hate to hear them chirp so loud. They snuggle into my hair but even then it takes until my butt falls asleep for them to settle. Then when I move they’re back awake again. I keep putting stuffies in with them hoping that’ll help because they have a stuffed duck they love. I gave them some dog toys today and they snuggled up to them. It was affordable.

I think 80 to 90 is too warm for them at 4 weeks. Decrease the heat. If there is a heat plate they will go under it if they are chilled.
I had a window cracked in the room they’re in, since they have a whole room to themselves, but closed it because it was getting to be single digits here. But I’ll crack the window again and see if that helps. Thank you.

They're so cute 😍 love when they snuggle.

I'm thinking it's the change that upsets them. They should get used to it. They seem to be feathering nicely. I think anything higher than 80degrees might be too hot, since many of their feathers are starting to come in already.
They are super cute. Im loving this breed more and more. They’re the snuggliest chicks I’ve had. My only other experience is with EEs, OEs and some silkies but these guys are the loviest so far. I got them for my husband because he kept trying to hug my EE roo Fuzzy. Fuzzy hated it. These guys will jump into your lap to snuggle the second you walk into their room.
I’m actually surprised at how fast they’re growing. I kept hearing how slow to grow brahmas are but these guys are feathering the same as my other chicks did. I closed the window I had open for them but will crack it again and see how they fare. Thank you.

Our Brahmas are super duper cuddly, though it sounds like these are extra cheepy, and I'd be wondering why, too.

Adding a heat lamp may be too much--do they run away from it?

I gave mine a nightlight. They liked that because they were growing so much they wanted to eat in the middle of the night sometimes, all the way until they moved outside (we used a heating plate, so there wasn't any other bulb giving light off for them).

Are they getting a good feed and plenty of water and acting active otherwise? They certainly look bright-eyed and bushy-tailed!

Is there a way you can shut the heat off in the room there in. At 4 weeks there almost fully feathered and don't require ambient air to be in the 80's since you still have a heat source for them. I would keep there room on the cool side.
We have hydrothermal baseboard heating so not really possible to turn it off to just that room. There’s one valve for the whole upstairs for all the heaters. They connect through the walls. I wish it was possible though. Next year I’m not brooding in the house so this won’t be a problem.

Our Brahmas are super duper cuddly, though it sounds like these are extra cheepy, and I'd be wondering why, too.

Adding a heat lamp may be too much--do they run away from it?

I gave mine a nightlight. They liked that because they were growing so much they wanted to eat in the middle of the night sometimes, all the way until they moved outside (we used a heating plate, so there wasn't any other bulb giving light off for them).

Are they getting a good feed and plenty of water and acting active otherwise? They certainly look bright-eyed and bushy-tailed!
I feed them non-medicated purina start and grow crumbles. They drink and eat and run around. They’re otherwise healthy. I tried the heat lamp and they didn’t like it. I used it for awhile to brood them, like the first two weeks, then bought a heat plate. I think the switch over from the light being there always threw them off. But when I tried to give the light back they yelled more. Hopefully cooling it down in there calms them down.

We have hydrothermal baseboard heating so not really possible to turn it off to just that room. There’s one valve for the whole upstairs for all the heaters. They connect through the walls. I wish it was possible though. Next year I’m not brooding in the house so this won’t be a problem.

I feed them non-medicated purina start and grow crumbles. They drink and eat and run around. They’re otherwise healthy. I tried the heat lamp and they didn’t like it. I used it for awhile to brood them, like the first two weeks, then bought a heat plate. I think the switch over from the light being there always threw them off. But when I tried to give the light back they yelled more. Hopefully cooling it down in there calms them down.
Heating plates rule. It's pretty adorable they won't let you leave. You should get them a little nightlight with your face on it--problem solved!

Do you think that there's a way to have the lights gradually dim? Definitely crack the window or open it more, if it has a screen.

Heating plates rule. It's pretty adorable they won't let you leave. You should get them a little nightlight with your face on it--problem solved!
That is such a cute idea! I have a doc mcstuffins one that my kids had. The chicks did not like it. Maybe if I built a scarecrow full of heating pads, that isn’t totally flammable, they would love it. :lau

Do you think that there's a way to have the lights gradually dim? Definitely crack the window or open it more, if it has a screen.
I wish there was a way to dim them but I don’t think there is. They're on a plant timer. And I don’t know of one that dims gradually. Although I never looked into it. I will now. I cracked the window today and we will see if it helps tonight. There is a screen. Otherwise I wouldn’t open it at all. The room is on the second story and I would never forgive myself if one of the chicks fell out of the window because of me.

Back
Top Bottom