how can u tell if u have a true ameraucana or an easter egger?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenbuttsowhat, Oct 16, 2011.

1. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i always wondered how to tell if u have a truemeraucana or an easter egger? i know my rooster is true cuz lady order him off a hatchery but i got some hens from another lady and she says they r ameraucana but i believe to be EEs but hard to really tell so im wondering how ppl tell if they really r or just lieing to make a sale?

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Hatchery Ameraucaunas are almost always Easter Eggers. Do you know what the ladies birds look like?

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    true ameraucanas only come standard colors and breed true like blue, white, black, buff, wheaton, silver, lavender

4. green homesteader

green homesteader Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Southren Tier NY
    I have concerns about this also.

How can someone buying a bird (that is a standard color) tell if it is a True Amerucana or EE?
    If the seller claims they are True Amerucanas?
    All hatchery are EE's got that, but I have EE's that were sold to me as True Amerucanas nice muff standard in every way but the color.
    So how is one to know when buying??

And I dont think Lavender is accepted yet so are they True Amerucanas or EE's?

I am also confused.
    My True Amerucanas are from good well known lines (white, black and Wheatens) but I like other colors and dont dare to buy them in fear I will over pay for an EE.

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Lavender are true amerucanas

6. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    if the meet the standard like say u find white hen thats probly ee but u plan on breeding her to whites as long she meet standard that all that maters

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  7. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    In addition to Ameraucanas only in the standard colors, check the leg and skin color. Ameraucanas have white skin and slate legs, Easter Eggers generally have yellow skin and willow legs.

8. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

lavenders are a project color but are considered True Ameraucana.....an Ameraucana should have slate legs not green or yellow. You are correct there are people on craigslist and such that say they have Ameraucanas but in fact have EE's....You would do best to buy from someone on here that knows the difference.... You can also jump into the Ameraucana thread and ask questions they would be more than happy to answer [​IMG]

9. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Can true ameraucana come in solid white color? Because I have Snow and she looks like an ameraucana or easter egger.

[​IMG]

10. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:ameraunas come in solid white and her legs are righy color to be an ameraucana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by