1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can u tell when a hen is about to lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickadee-23, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    They are 4 months old, someone told me when there waddles turn bright red they are about to lay is this true? If so all 3 of them are red and they fuss to and go into the house, 2 are production reds and the other is a red sex link, Thanks :)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Their 'wattles' and comb will become enlarged and bright in color. They will start 'singing', and they will very likely squat in front of you with slightly arched wings. At 4 months they are somewhat on the young side but with the increasing day length they should start laying within the next month or so.

3. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Yup, wattle and comb become bright red and get bigger. They start singing the egg song and will start to squat.

4. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Ok thanks 2 of thems comb is big and all 3 of thems waddles are bright red like my bantams that are laying, and all 3 sing egg song only one squated so far and shes red sex link i think cus shes white & red mixture very pretty bird be my first time having a brown egg layer im kinda excited cause i hatched these 3 out along with a rooster and thy free range to hope thy still lay thr eggs inside nests :)

5. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Ya, with one of them already squatting I would expect eggs in the next couple weeks. For the free ranging chickens put a golf ball in the nest box so they know where to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by