How can you age a chicken?

LittleRedRanch

Chirping
Oct 8, 2018
Northwest Florida
In August I adopted 2 chickens from the city. 1 easter egger and 1 millie Fleur. The woman said they have not laid an egg in 6 months and were only 2 years old. Since I've had them (two months) they have been free range and fed some layer crumbles. They are happy and healthy. I don't need them to lay eggs they have a home for life I was just wondering what would make them stop, would they start again or are they older than she told me?
20181013_165729.jpg

I don't know how to guess age, but if they are not laying, it is better to feed an all flock food, instead of layer crumbles. Lots of things can stop a hen's laying cycle, heat, molting, shorter days, and upsets, such as illness or injuries or moving. Your hens have been through a lot, I'm not surprised that they're not laying. They may well be older than she said, but it's possible they are only two, and something else is going on. Check them over well for mites and lice, signs of illness such as sneezing, snotty noses or raspy breathing.
If they are looking healthy, eating and drinking well, and active, they may just be on an egg break. Anyway, they have landed in the right place, and are fun pets, even without the benefit of eggs.

fed some layer crumbles
'Some' layer crumbles...or do they have them available every hour they are awake?

That bird look pretty 'red in the face'.
Here's how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
If pelvic points are spread, might want to confine them until they lay in the coop nests.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom