How can you cool down you chicken on a hot day?

indego_88

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Australia
Its very hot over here in australia at the moment... up to 35-40 degrees.
The chickens arn't in the sun but are very hot and are breathing through their mouth.
Is there a way I could cool them down? Do they like water much?

I wish it was hot here. In michigan we should be getting 3 inch of snow!

In the summer I would put ice cubes in the water for the chickens and give then a fan.

Lol, ur lucky, it is FREEZING here! We have alot of frost. Maybe mist them with a hose... feed them watermelon, it helps

this summer we had some hot days, the Delightful Dozen panted like you described.
We froze some large plastic waterbottles and placed them around in the run - that was not so popular with the girls.
We ran water and made a "mud hole" that was a favorite! They liked to lay in that area even when the water had soaked in.
But the thing that worked best was to give them free range in the yard so they could find a comfortable spot. They did fine after that, now they free range in our large fenced yard all day long, they love it and I love the 8 eggs a day we get on a regular basis.

Good luck with your flock!

thanks for all the good ideas
smile.png
ill try them all and see how the like it. the mud bath one sounds especially funny and entertaining
lol.png
and watermelon is a nice idea
wink.png

I've misted mine with a hose. If it's a hot day, you don't have to worry about them getting too cold after they get all wet. It also gives them something to do; after they're soaked, they sit around (a) giving me dirty looks or (b) preening their wet and bedraggled feathers, depending on how much they mind baths.
smile.png

Putting ice cubes in their water container is also a good idea. (And as always, make sure they have plenty of shade, especially in the run).

Mine all think they are ducks. I put a sprinkler out for them when it is hot and dry and they stay in it until I cut it off. Even when it rains they come out of their house and play in the rain no matter if it is hot or cold. Just a yard full of dripping,drooping, happy chickens who just can't believe the Lord did not make them all ducks.

Can you run a fan for them?
Ice water and ice cold watermelon are good too.
Do you have poultry electrolytes available to buy? Adding it to their water helps them cope with the heat.

Back
Top Bottom