1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how can you have a chicken like you???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jed2012, Sep 9, 2012.

1. jed2012

jed2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    my hen is scared of me. does anyone have any tips?

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Treats help. Mine especially like mealworms. Develop a routine. When I sit in the lawn chair by the coop they all come running. They know its treat time. I have two chairs there and they end up hopping up on " their" chair and eat out of my hand.

3. jed2012

Jun 1, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    so treats will help them like me or the treats? or both?

4. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    What is your chicken doing that makes you think it's scared of you? Is it running away every time you come near? or does it just dodge when you try to pick it up? or what?

Our chickens don't really like to be picked up but any time we bring treats to the yard they run to greet us. They still don't want us to pick them up though. That's just how chickens are.

5. jed2012

Jun 1, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    well both. i also tried giving her treats, she still doesnt want to come to me. ive treated her the nicest, and i try to pick her up a lot. is that bad that i like to pick her up a lot?

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Some chickens simply don't want to be pets. However, treats do help, although you must get down on their level-sit down and allow the chicken to come to you. If you are dealing with an older bird who has not been handled very much, she may never 'like' you. Don't take it personal, nature gave chickens certain instincts in order to survive. And to be perfectly honest, we really haven't bred chickens to be docile pets. We breed them to provide eggs and meat. If you want a pet chicken a Silkie may be your best bet.

7. jed2012

Jun 1, 2012
    West Valley City, Utah
    ok thanx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by