1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can you help a greedy alpha hen loose weight?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BantyChooks, Sep 23, 2015.

1. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Smile Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    I have a 7 year old EE, Emma, (which some of you may know about) and she is the alpha hen of the flock. She also does not lay eggs. The problem is, she is very overweight. I haven't weighed her with a scale, but she is the same height as all my other chickens and much heavier, she also runs in a galloping motion. (slightly side-to-side) I got her to lose a little weight, but since she is the alpha hen, all the others volintarily leave her the best and the most delicious treats, like rice, bread, milk, etc. Some of the other chickens are a little skinny, so I dump treats in there for them. I have considered separating her but she will go bonkers (eg. runnning back and forth, rubbing her comb until it bleeds) if seperated even just by a fence.
    So my question is: Have you ever had a chicken that needed to loose weight? did she eventually get back to normal weight? thanks!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Cut the treats out for a while! She's eating the yummies, not good. Is she still laying eggs? You might consider feeding the flock a Flock Raiser type diet, with oyster shell on the side, to balance everything out. She may just be larger anyway. When I feed treats, it's small quantities, very spread out, so everyone has a chance to get at least one piece. No piles of stuff! Mary

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree to cut out the treats. If you want to treat the rest of the flock, confine her to a smaller dog carrier or even a cardboard box, maybe in the garage where she can't hear/smell what's going on and get worked up. A chicken confined in a small dark space will usually go to sleep, or some semblance thereof, and not get upset.

4. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    okay, thanks!

5. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    oh, she is not laying eggs anymore, she stopped around a year ago.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She might be nutritionally 'starved' and is gorging to try and fill those needs......
    .......your other birds might be underweight for the same reason.

Are you giving them a balanced chicken ration always available?
    Those other foods should only be given in small amounts,10% volume of daily balanced chicken ration.

7. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    yes, they have a complete feed avalible all the time. the others are so skinny because I just finished treating for worms and they have red mites which I am trying to treat....
    any natural suggestions for that? wood ash dosen't do much. am I using it wrong? I tried making a new thread but no one helped.
    The treats are given in small amounds, mostly broccili stems and corn rinds but they get about 1 slice of bread every 2 days from leftover sandwiches. and old tomatoes. most of their treats are old\slightly wilted fruits and vegies and only a small percentage is stuff like that, she mostly got fat from her previous owner.

8. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

How old was she when you got her?

9. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    6 years old.

10. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    I've only had her (and all my other chickens!) for a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by