How can you keep your chickens in your fenced area?[EDITED]

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by countrygirlLivinInDaCity, Apr 6, 2009.

1. countrygirlLivinInDaCity

countrygirlLivinInDaCity New Egg

Feb 26, 2008
    Ive tried lots of things like putting black tarp over the area they jump on to get to the other side because the seem to be scared of it but they have found ways to still get over the fence. We have 5 chickens and live in suburban country about 1 hour away from Seattle where lots of people have goats,chickens,pigeons and things like that. So nobody really cares that there are chickens running around their yard put these new neighbors that just moved in are for smack dap in the middle of Seattle and a not used to seeing chickens in their yard. They have gotten mad at us for not keeping them in our yard. So now we have to find a way to keep the chickens in our yard. Any help would be so much appreciated! [​IMG] (By the way does anyone know the correct way to wash a goat? one of my goats goat really muddy and we don't want to use any chemicals that could be bad for him. Thanks so much! [​IMG]

( I forgot to mention that i am in 4-h and you cant clip your chickens wings or you cant show them. So thanks for the people who posted about wing clipping though [​IMG] )

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    When my neighbors complained, because my chickens managed to get over the 5' solid wood fence, I just stuck chicken wire fencing up on top of it, using whatever sticks I had. Didn't look to pretty, but worked.
    By the way, said neighbor had a right to complain, my chickens would get up on the fence, walk down a bit and point their tails into the neighbor's yard, leaving a nice deposit for their two year old to discover. [​IMG] I would not have appreciated that either. I hauled out a bucket full of poo.

3. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    You can also clip on wing but you need to know how first.This prevents them from flying.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  5. countrygirlLivinInDaCity

Feb 26, 2008
    Quote:Thats a good idea, so do you just stick up the chicken wire on top of the fence and they cant fly over?

6. countrygirlLivinInDaCity

Feb 26, 2008
    my dad came up with the idea of wrapping medical wrap around their wings like the ones you put on a sprained ankle or somthing. Like just wrapping it around there body one time so they cant spread their wings and fly. But that would only be temporary. Is that a good idea?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by