1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can you relieve boredom in your chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by americana-lover, Nov 22, 2012.

1. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    Are there any ways I can relieve boredom in my chickens? I mean, they are in the same spot everyday, ( they always get at least 2 hrs of free roaming a day) but for the rest of the day, I'm scared they are getting too bored, sad, and maybe even a little depressed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

Generally I think they get used to it, and adapt well as long as they have enough space.. Still, I hang one of those bird seed blocks or a head of broccoli for them to pick at. Depending upon the size, the seed blocks last a few days. Most days I have a goody time for them when they get table scraps or bread.

3. Let them run around alot and spend time with them and give them something to do
    Hang a peice of lettuce on the string so the chickens sort of jump/ reach for it
    Do u have a lot of chickens or just a couple ?

4. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    i only have 5 americanas, today they had to stay in their coop and run all day because we had a hawk problem. Is there any way to scare away hawks so they will stay away forevr?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by