How Can You Stop Chickens From Wsndering?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peep-Chicken, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    My friend has chickens. All of them are able to jump over the fence, but choose not to except for 3! These 3 r some of my favorites and I would die if anything happened to them! They had a rooster that traveled with them, but he was killed. I don't want that to happen to them. No matter how much my friend try's to re arrange the pen, they always manage to hop out! They aren't a year old yet and she's only had them for to months. What can we do to stop the wandering?!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sounds like you need to put a cover on the run or clip wings.

1 person likes this.
  3. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    They have a huge run and she says she doesn't want to deal with sing clipping. Thanks tough! Would putting them in a covered run to get them to stay? The run is really small tho

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The fence around my run is 6 feet tall. None of the hens get out. The fence around their forage area is 4 feet tall and none has gotten out. How large the forage area versus the height of the fence may be a factor here. You might need a taller fence for a smaller area.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  5. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    anyone?

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    There really aren't any other options. Keep them in a covered run, clip their wings or put up a taller fence. If your friend's chickens are wandering onto the property of others, she needs to be responsible and do something to keep them home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by