How can you tell a wyandotte silver laced chick from an Australorp?

OScarlet

Songster
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013
We went and bought our chicks (yay!) from a local feed store. The BOs, Australorp and silverlaced wyandottes were all in the same tub together. I told the lady I wanted a BO and a SLW and she bent down picked two up and put them in a box. Any way of telling we got the right ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I have a SLW, BOs and an Australop. Why don't you post pictures and we can help you sort them out? First of all, Australops will be all black with a beautiful metallic green shine when they are full grown, but when they are tiny they are black and white. My Australop had a white stipe down from its neck to its tummy. The BOs should be easy, they are blond colored fluff balls. I'm not 100% sure about the SLW chick, because I got mine as a 3 week old.
I don't have any earlier pics, but here are a few of my chicks. The first two are of our Black Australop at 3weeks, and then the second 2 pics are of our SLW and BO chick at 3.5 wks old. Hope that helps.

this is ?her? Feed store says she is about two weeks. She keeps falling asleed on her side in my hand.

Don't know if this is helpful, when she spreads her wings she has one or two white feathers.

That's what I suspected. Oh well, she is the most docile of the bunch, family says we have to keep her.

Back
Top Bottom