1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can you tell blue from black orps?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

My BBS orps are about to hatch and I wanted to know how do I tell the difference between blue and black ??? Can anyone share some pics of their newly hatched babies if there is a difference please [​IMG] THANK YOU!

2. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Very good question, but I can't help. I would like to know the answer thou. I have two orps that are a week old. I think they are going to be pretty much solid black.

Here some pics to see what mine look like.
    [​IMG]

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Here are some blacks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    So what does this look like? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thought so! Thanks for helping out Victoria on that one. I think if the feather shaft is blue, the bird is blue, even if it appears black. Hard to tell with just the fluff on a chick. Take it in the sunlight to look.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Drat... [​IMG] I was hoping she was a blue, though she's just the sweetest little booger! [​IMG]

The pictures really are hard to tell, though... I'll go look at her in the sunshine. The white towel throws off the exposure, yada yada... but she will be loved whether she's black, blue, or plaid! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maybe she's a very dark blue, Tori. I had one of Suede's sons I really thought was black till he got in the sunshine at a few weeks old. Very dark blue.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Ok I feel dumb for asking this...speckledhen...what is the feather shaft?? Or rather...WHERE is it? Thanks. I'm still learning here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Can someone share a picture of a blue orp chick??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by