how can you tell if a hen is broody?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by duniganb357, Jul 13, 2011.

1. duniganb357

duniganb357 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    middle tennesee
    I have *8* 2 month old chickens that have been acting pretty weird. ive got a hen that hurt her leg when she was young and know she cant run only walk and hop. i was gonna baby her but my other hen started acting like the momma and protecting it so i left it in there. my rooster hangs out with momma a lot. could that mean momma is broody? plz help! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mconro

mconro Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Some breeds are more broody than others. Ours are a year old and we have 2 that are presently sitting on nests of eggs. VERY broody. They "growl" and cluck loudly,.....even peck if you try to put your hand in.
    We do have another pen of newer chickens and we hae some hens that "watch out" for the smaller ones. May be what you are seeing.
    [​IMG]

3. duniganb357

Jul 12, 2011
    middle tennesee
    Thx! ur very kind!

4. mconro

Jul 3, 2010
    Thank you! Hang in there. These little guys and gals can make us into real worry warts sometimes. This is a GREAT place to get info.
    Good luck!

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

If I understand correctly, the pullet in question is only two months old??? It is not possible for her to become broody because first she has to be mature enough to lay eggs. I think what you are seeing is a young chicken with a strong instinct for 'mothering' but not the same as a broody hen. She will probably make a great broody hen when she has been laying a while.

A broody hen will sit in the nest for long periods and go into a trance like state. She will collect eggs under her and will not want to leave the nest and will become upset if you try to remove her.

6. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

P.S. I am the youngest of 11 siblings, but I had eight older brothers and only two much older sisters. It was fun growing up on a farm with that many sisters and brothers.

7. mconro

Jul 3, 2010
    Oh those broody ones are great collectors of eggs!! I have one hen sitting on 13 eggs right now!!!! And, they are all toasty warm.

8. duniganb357

Jul 12, 2011
    middle tennesee
    ok then. the hen i was talking about pecks and scratches me if i try to pick up the hurt one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by