How Can You Tell If an egg is fertile by the outside?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dandeliondragon, Sep 1, 2014.

1. dandeliondragon

dandeliondragon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Hi we just discovered 1 out of our 6 chickens is fertile how can you tell if an egg is fertile by the shells

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    You can't. As I understand it, you have to crack the egg, and look for a bullseye on the yolk to tell. Then cook up an omelet!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Right. The only other method is to incubate it and see if a chick develops.

Not sure what you mean by one of your 5 chickens is fertile. If you have a rooster, chances are all the hens are laying fertile eggs.

4. dandeliondragon

dandeliondragon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    the people who had the chickens before us had a rooster and if we have a chick in an egg we dont want to kill it we need another chicken

5. angelbrenn

angelbrenn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Ocala fl
    You can candle the eggs to see if it is developing a check you will see red streaks if a check has started developing

1 person likes this.
  6. jentralala

jentralala Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    A fertile egg is almost no different than an unfertilized egg. There isn't a fully developed chick in it...it just has the potential to be a chick. Many people eat fertilized eggs, it's really no different. As long as you collect daily, there wouldn't be an issue. Give her a month or so and she'll no longer lay fertilized eggs, they'll be infertile like the rest of your hens.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Good point. The egg has to be incubated (kept around 100 degreess) to develop.

I've been eating fertile eggs off and on much of my life. No chicks yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by