How can you tell if its a baby silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FrizzleDizzle, Jun 19, 2010.

1. FrizzleDizzle

FrizzleDizzle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I had two chicks hatch about 1 1/2 weeks ago. The daddy of both of then is a silkie (my only rooster). The possible mothers are bantam cochins or a silkie. So, both are at least 1/2 silkie. My questions: how and how early can you tell if the chick is going to be silkie?? What do you look at? Here is a pic of the two babies.
    [​IMG]

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Silkes have the black skin and 5 toes dominate, so you will have to wait and see how they feather out.

It looks, from the pic, that the partridge colored one on the right, is a Silkie. The other has regular feathers coming in. They are very cute!

3. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Also, the cochin/silkies might have heavier leg feathers.

4. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    im not an expert but the cutie on the right looks JUST like 2 of my silkie chicks. The cutie on the left, i have no clue, but super cute!!

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The one on the left is half and half, the one on the right is pure silkie. Look at the wing feathers--you can see the regular feather tips on the left and the silkie ones on the right.

6. FrizzleDizzle

Jun 8, 2009
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    So, my uneducated guess (since I've never seen a silkie baby) was the left was a mix that would probably have hard feathers and the right was going to have silkie feathers. Thats soo exciting!! Now I just hope they turn out to both be girls so I can keep them. My last 4 that hatched all turned out to be all black with hard feathers (silkie daddy and evidentally polish mommy) and 2 were boys and 2 girls. They weren't nearly as cute as these two. My friend took a pair of them and I have one pair, but have to give away the boy, so I'll only end up with one of them.

Fingers crossed that these are both girls!! I know I'm biased, but I think they are soooo adorable!

7. FrizzleDizzle

Jun 8, 2009
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    So, I saw some think the one on the right is partridge (like daddy), but any guesses on what color the left one is gonna be when he grows up?? If it helps, the two cochin mommy possibilites: mille fleur cochin or black frizzle cochin. The black frizzle is god knows what though; she came from a farm with all different kinds and is a total mutt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by