How can you tell the difference between adult sebastopol geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DRaeMc, Jan 29, 2016.

1. DRaeMc

DRaeMc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    La Grange, KY
    Someone local is selling grown out 2 year old Sebastopol Geese pairs. I am not experienced with geese, but was wondering how I would know they are actual pairs other than waiting for eggs or seeing them mate. The person that is selling them said that they don't know the difference either and was told they bought two pairs of them.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you can go and observe it might be pretty obvious this time of year breeding season is starting up my females still act normal but the ganders are alert head up in the air or ready to bite anything that comes around head down ready to go at anyone that gets too close to one of their females.

Lets see if we can get @Cottage Rose attention she has Sebbies

3. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Really no way for inexperienced folks to be able to tell the difference. Maybe they could enlist the help of a friend who knows how to vent sex??

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Are you saying Sebastopol ganders don't act all aggressive and ornery during breeding season? I need to do a trade in. lol

5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Well yes but females can get hissy to. If these people want some they should just get them and figure it out later by observing.them. They'll figure it out eventually.

6. DRaeMc

DRaeMc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    La Grange, KY
    I think I'll have to get sexed gosling pairs and band then. With the person selling them not able to tell the difference either my luck is I'd end up with all ganders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by