How can you tell the difference?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SilverLacedLady, May 25, 2010.

1. SilverLacedLady

SilverLacedLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Malinta, Ohio
    What is a dead give away to tell the difference between an Easter Egger and Americana and Auracanas? I got two chicks that I was told were Auracanas, but they came from a hatchery in MI, and from what I understand most true Auracanas only come from breeders not hatcheries. So, how do I know if they're EEs or Aruacanas? any insight would be great and I'll put up pics as soon as I can if that would help. TIA!
  2. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    From what I understand, Araucanas are rumpless.
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The bottom line is if you get them from a hatchery, they are EE's.

Araucana's are supposed to be rumpless and have tufts, not muffs. But you can get tailed with tufts, rumpless without tufts, etc.

Here's hinkjc's website, they breed araucana's:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If it came from a hatchery, 99.9% of the time (or greater) it will be an EE, not an araucana or ameraucana. EE's generally tend to look more like an ameraucana than like an araucana, but as there is no standard for EEs, that is not an absolute by any means.

Araucanas have a different body type and head shape. They do not have muffs or beards (in the US), and SQ ones do have tufts. As it is a lethal gene, breeders often keep non-tufted breeders to breed with their tufted birds. Araucanas should be rumpless, but once again, breeders may keep tailed birds as rumplessness lowers fertility. They have yellow, willow or black legs. They lay blue eggs.

Ameraucanas have muffs and beard, never have tufts and always have tails. They have slate legs, never willow or yellow. They lay blue eggs.

Easter Eggers have no standard, and thus can have any body type, any head shape and can lay any colour of eggs, although green and blue are common. THey may or may not have tails, tufts, muffs/beard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by