How can you tell the gender of a frizzle?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NoseyChickens, Oct 5, 2009.

1. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have 2 young frizzles about 5 mo old. The lady I got them from is pretty sure one is a roo. (which is a good thing) But they look the exact same to me, besides feather coloring. Anyway, unless they crow or lay an egg I have no idea how to tell because thier feathers are so curly. Thier combs and waddles are the same color of a nice red.

[​IMG]

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Pictures of both their heads is kinda helpful. That whole "sex-the-upside-down-curly-mop" thing is hard to do.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I was just asking the same thing-but the hope the other is a pullet:)

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    walkswithdog
    Pictures of both their heads is kinda helpful. That whole "sex-the-upside-down-curly-mop" thing is hard to do.

[​IMG]

I want to hear how people tell the difference too. [​IMG]

5. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:LOL! Sorry about that! Here is a little bit better pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im still going with 1 roo-1 pullet the blacker one in the back I still cant see a good head shot but from what I do see ( smaller wattles) Im going to say pullet-no crowing huh???

7. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    No, no crowing. they are just the cutest in the whole world! And so soft and gental. I just love them. They are really tiny too. I haven't named them yet though. I guess it's just a wait and see.

8. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I would think by 5 months a roo would be crowing. [​IMG] Maybe they are hens and the one with the really red waddles and comb is about to lay any day. [​IMG]

I am trying my hardest to convince hubby to let me get at least one frizzle. They are to cute! [​IMG]

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I have sizzles so mine are a little harder. At five months they're probably both girls. This is a growing photo of my blue birchen Sizzle cockeral - check out that comb and he's three generations removed from cochin!

Around 3 months check them wattles.

[​IMG]

Looking for his five month photos now....

Eight months and splendid,

[​IMG]

Self-serving baby photo:

[​IMG]

At five months he was far more obviously a boy.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    This little girl is about six months old now. I had the same question becasue she crowed but she has since laid an egg [​IMG] I do have a frizzle who crows and is very maleish acting and he looks just like yours. Cochins do take forever to crow. Yours to me look both male [​IMG] IF I was comparing them to mine that is. My little boy frizzle is a very big sweet heart too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by