How can you tell the sex of a chicken??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Iancurrannacearca, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Iancurrannacearca

Iancurrannacearca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    I have 15 chicks and i dont know what sex they are! [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im new but hope this may help-some you can tell within the first 24 hours by their wing feathers-that is in sex linked birds-some are sexed through looking in their vents-bleah wont ever do that -that is performed when they are babies too. The rest of us usually tell after 6-8 weeks or longer by looking at the size of their combs and wattles-which is what I have to do! Once in a while youll get lucky and a comb is huge in teh first few weeks and that would be a roo-for most breeds..how old are your birds? got any pictures?

3. Iancurrannacearca

Iancurrannacearca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    they are a week!!! and i cant figure out how to post them!!!

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    welcome to my club-I can download photos on my page I just cant figure out how to add them..working on it though-My chicks are 10 days old-2 of them-I have my suspicions of their sexes from attitudes and size difference-but wont know for sure for a while! The batch I have in bator-Im going to try and feather sex them-just for s$its and giggles to see how accurate I am? who knows Ill probably be way off but it's fun anyhoo...what kind are yours? some are much easier to tell by the breed

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Read on how to post pics

6. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

At 1 week old, I don't think you can figure out the sex accurately. One of my Rhode Island Reds turned out to be a male, even though they were sexed Pullets, and I didn't know until he was about a month old and his comb and wattles and were bigger and redder, and his legs were thicker than the other RIR and other breeds.

At about 4 weeks old, you can compare the size of their combs, wattles, legs, and the wing, back and tail feathering to get an idea of what you have. Usually, the females' feathering will be more advanced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by