how can you tell the sex of a duck??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jpumpkin, May 5, 2011.

1. jpumpkin

jpumpkin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I was wondering how you can tell if your duck is a female or male?? I know mine are still a little to young right now but would like to know how when they get a little older. I have 2 runner ducks and a mallard 3-4 weeks old. Can you tell now or how can I when they get older?? Please help!! Thanks!!

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I don't know about runners, but most of the mallard derived breeds (and I think the runners are) will be different colors as adults. Males will also have a 'drake' feather, which is a curled set of feathers on the tail. Drakes make a much quieter sound, more like a hoarse whisper, while the girls have a much louder 'quack'. If you are looking for a way to tell them apart now, I don't know if you can. You may have to wait [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  3. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Listen for it! The drake will get a real "Raspy" sound to him. Hens will "QUACK". We take owers to the creek with us to swim, QUACKING !and the drake will take the lead, Gergle/ish sounding, and put himself in front of the others if he thinks something is wrong. He is also the one that beat up my prized game cox. You will know a tough guy real quick if you have time to watch. Otherwise, let them molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by