1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can you tell the sex of a duck ???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by momw2cutekids, Sep 23, 2011.

1. momw2cutekids

momw2cutekids Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    I have 9 ducks that are about 3mths old and they love free ranging around our pond, first off I am not sure what type of ducks they are so I really need to put some pictures up and get everyones opinion but, that's another topic [​IMG] ~ I am just wondering how you can tell what sex your ducks are ???? Is that even possible ???

2. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    It really depends on the breed. Some ducks you can tell just by looking at them...for instance, males will always have a little curly Q tail feather and usually get a lighter or darker colored head, they also seem to have a yellower or greener bill than the females, who usually have a darker, browner bill... this of course only works if your birds have reached sexual maturity...
    If you can't go by feathers or your birds aren't sexually mature, you can go by the sound. Males ducks will have a whispery quality to the sounds they make and don't typically "quack", girl ducks will have the characteristic, loud quacking sound that most people associate with ducks...

Hope this gives you a pretty decent idea [​IMG] If you want you can go ahead and post those pics and everybody will do their best to help you pick out the drakes from the hens [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Girls quack boys wasp for starters. Boys will grow the drake curl feather on their tail. In some breeds the drakes are brighter/more colorful while the girls are more subdue in coloring. When all else fails there is always vent sexing. Just grabbed one of our newest ducks and vent sexed because I just didn't know if it was a hen or drake.

4. momw2cutekids

Aug 5, 2011
    So here are a few pictures of the ducks - I have 2 that have a white ring around their necks and 6 of the dark brown ducks and then 1 of the light tan duck [​IMG] Thanks Again !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:first of all they are beautiful, but I don't see a drake feather in the bunch, might still be too young to have it yet, I only have Muscovies so I'm not use to the drake feather thing. but they are reall nice ducks. hope someone else can give you an idea on sex and breed.

6. featheredfashions

featheredfashions Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Florida
    I am new to the "ducky world"...but I'd guess maybe khaki campbell??

7. featheredfashions

featheredfashions Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Florida
    PS. They are beautiful...love their coloring!

8. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:x2

9. momw2cutekids

Aug 5, 2011
    Thank You All [​IMG] - I just googled Khaki Campbell the dark brown ducks look just like them, I had no idea I am telling you I am so new at ducks it's pathetic ! !

Does anyone have a idea on what the light tan ducks might be ?????

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Beautiful ducks, the dark ones look just like our Khaki flock. The lighter could be a mix, or a hatchery line of Buffs (buff Orpington). We have 4 juveniles here that are a fantastic duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by