how can you tell what a pullet is

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pedro24, Nov 18, 2009.

1. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    yes hello i was wondering about how can you
    tell if its a pullet or just a normal chicken that
    you would keep as a pet so can you help me
    so i can figure out if mine are or is not a pullet [​IMG]

thanks a lot

2. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    pullets will have smaller combs and waddles.

3. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Pullet means young female chicken, they make good pets and lay eggs, A male chicken can also make a good pet but some areas you can not have roosters because they crow. If you have a picture of your chicken we can tell you if it is a pullet.

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:I'm surprised at your question because you've been answering a lot of other people's threads, telling some of them that they have pullets (even though you didn't know what a pullet is?)

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I'm surprised at your question because you've been answering a lot of other people's threads, telling some of them that they have pullets (even though you didn't know what a pullet is?)

[​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] oh thats funny in a really sad kinda way!

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Just another reason not to believe everything you see on the internet.

8. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    hello Arizona desert chick

i have been answering based on what other people thought
    because most of them are correct and i also learn from doing
    that but i never under stood what a pullet was but i do know what so breads are or i go off instinct or the name
    of a bird will randomly pop up or my my father will tell me to
    write somthing because he has hade chickens since before he
    was born so he know a lot of stuff. and to every one else thanks
    for the info.

Edited to remove personal information.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Just a suggestion, but rather than take answers from other posters, why not put "I agree with *insert username here*" or say "I don't know but he/she is beautiful." That way, you are giving credit to someone who may know just a bit more than you do at that particular time and are not giving answers that are incorrect.

Going by "instinct" on a breed can throw someone off completely. For example, saying a bird is a Buff Sussex when it is a Buff Orpington or even an Easter Egger. Instead read the other posters answers and research the breeds yourself so that you can learn about that breed and be able to answer correctly the next time you see a bird like it.

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:Hi Pedro,
    I'm glad you are learning - I've learned a ton from being on here on BYC too.

If you KNOW the answer to a breed or gender question or your father knows, then putting that answer down is great. I think RodriguezPoultry has a good suggestion for what to say when you aren't sure - "I don't know but he/she is beautiful" or you can say "based on what others are saying, I think it's a barred rock too". It's okay to guess, but let us know that it is just a guess. Occasionally, the 'majority' of the answers people put down on a thread are actually wrong, so you don't want to just put an answer down based on what most people are answering.

When I start question threads, I personally would prefer knowing the reason for someone's answer and knowing whether or not it's just a guess or if its based on actual experience. Keep reading and raising your chickens and you may become a pro (expert) like your father soon.
    Mary Ann

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by