How can you tell who your lead girl is?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happymom99, Jun 15, 2011.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    I recently got my first chickens. I have a mixed flock of 7 hens. It is very easy to tell who is at the bottom of the pecking order; my salmon faverolle and my cochin. My easter egger and my wyandotte seem be falling in the middle somewhere, but I am not quite sure who my lead girl is. I thought it was my black austrolorp, but now it seems like maybe my welsummer and my blue andalusian might be trying to be lead girl.

How long does it usually take for the pecking order to be established?

Once it is established is it easy to tell who is who?

Thank you,
    CJ

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Its not always easy to tell and sometimes it changes I have noticed with mine. Usually it's the one pecking at the others bawking "ALL MINE" when you throw scratch grains down! LOL

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Who is the first to eat treats and pecks others out of the way? That's the easiest way to tell.

4. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    My 3 year old RIR Gretta is my head lady..I can tell because she is always the first in the coop at night and gets the best roosting spot...and she is always the first to put the younger chicks in place...and she also lets our Rooster know in no uncertain terms he will not be having his way with her..but at time it is hard to tell because my other 2 ladies Buff Brahama and BA seem to want to be the boss...but all in all Gretta claims her place and is the boss!

5. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I know who my top 'two' are....but not sure who's 'lead'.
    There's the one who is ALWAYS out of the coop first when the pop door is opened in the morning - and the first back INTO the coop at the end of the day when I come to close it. She's like the kid in 2nd grade who always had to be 'first!'. Remember them?
    Then there's the one who is most interested in the treats container and lunges/plows her way through to get there first. Because she eats first, she also finishes first and gets the best spot in the sunshine too!

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I have a couple that are always first to dive into treats, come to see me at the door, etc. Lately they're acting like moody teenagers. One or two will run around, and the queen bee will look at them, as if to say "I pity tha foo" and then bonk them on the head.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. There is usually one who wants to be first. Since they haven't been together very long they may be sorting things out.

8. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I have 9 hens/pullets, and I can tell who is last, but who is first is a bit trickier. I agree with the others, there are two that could both be it. Maybe they can kinda share lead spot? There are two of mine that rush for food, and they peck the others out of the way. They are best friends, and don't really pick on each other at all, that's why I can't tell who's one and who's two!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by