how can you tell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hdowden, Nov 10, 2011.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if the chick is still alive in the egg after lockdown. i dont want to do the water test and did candle 2 and they had very defined blood vessals around the air cell that i could see. it is day 22.5 and i have 5 chicks already hatched and 7 still not pipped.

2. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    I always keep my eggs till day 25.

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I always wait until day 23 before I start opening and looking to see if they are still alive...

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:how do you open them to chick? what if they are alive and havent pipped internally?

5. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    whats the longest i should wait before they die in the shell if they are still alive?

6. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Well since you have some out, you know your temperature was correct. Therefore, if they haven't pipped by the 25th day... You can pretty much assume they are dead... However, if you want to check, poke the large end of the egg and see if you can see movement. The large end will be where the air cell is... If it hasn't internally pipped.... It wasn't gonna make it anyway..

I candle to see if mine are alive though.... I can always see the heartbeat... Even in REALLY dark eggs...

7. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if i put a little hole in the air cell and its pipped and still alive how would i keep the membrain moist or would i just go ahead and zip the egg for it and lay it back in the incubator?

8. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    multiple ways.... My favorite is turn on your hot water and let the water get as hot as it can... Soak a paper towel in it and put the paper towel in the incubator... The steam will immediately help your humidity...

9. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ok thanks for the help and info!!!

10. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    For clarity, I meant opening the incubator. Not opening the eggs. I see the confusion.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by