How/can you wash a chick????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bikergirl, Feb 4, 2009.

1. bikergirl

bikergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    I have a crusty chick, he came out of the incubater that way yesterday. He is now 1 day old. Can I wash him, and if so how do I do it?[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. bikergirl

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    He is the little guy in the back
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have no idea how this is supposed to be done and Im sure that many folks can come on here and give a detailed version of the way it has to be done. down to using sterile technique and a brain surgeon to observe.. but I simply run the water in my bathroom sink until its nice and warm.. and hold the baby under it for a few seconds and then snug him/her in a warmed towel for a few minutes til hes "soaked" up. Then back under the heat lamp. I have never had a loss doing it this way.
    They sure do fluff up and look good afterward.

4. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    couldnt have said it better myself,
    that is how i do it [​IMG]

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Yes you can wash a chicken....
    I do not suggest wearing clothes while doing so...because you'll be as wet as the bird.

6. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the same problem and the consensus on here was to leave him alone. I did; he remained scraggly looking and now at five weeks he's still a little scraggly, but otherwise fine.

7. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Mine would not eat and cried it was miserable I thought I was going to loose the chick. I ran water from a tap until it was lukewarm held him under the water but tried to keep his beak clear. I used a touch of baby shampoo to loosen up the sticky stuff, and rinsed. Warm towel then hair dryer (be very careful to not burn him) and back to the rest of the chicks. He immediately started eating and now is a very lively and happy chick.

8. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Throw him in the washing machine and hope for the best!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mine would not eat and cried it was miserable I thought I was going to loose the chick. I ran water from a tap until it was lukewarm held him under the water but tried to keep his beak clear. I used a touch of baby shampoo to loosen up the sticky stuff, and rinsed. Warm towel then hair dryer (be very careful to not burn him) and back to the rest of the chicks. He immediately started eating and now is a very lively and happy chick.

Yes, see, mine was basically fine except for being covered in gunk - he was eating and drinking and behaving normally. I guess it all depends on the situation.

10. bikergirl

Jan 9, 2009
    Edmonds Wa
    Quote:LOL nice!

Thanks guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by