How close are they to laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Studio2770, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    3 of my 5 White Leghorns' combs and wattles have really grown and reddened over the past few days. I think they are around 16-17 weeks old. Do they look that age? I don't know what to look for to tell if they're ready. I have the boxes cleaned out, I just have to put bedding in them. Should I put bedding in the boxes in a couple of days if they look close? The other two are still "bald."[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fiona, she's had a large comb and wattle for weeks, it finally got red a few days ago.
    [​IMG]
    Amelia, the third oldest.
    [​IMG]

Clara, the second oldest. Her and Amelia seemed to have grown there's over night!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Right before my Leghorns started laying, their combs got huge and flopped over. They still look young to me :)

3. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    They do look a little young to me too. I would guess a few more weeks. As far as bedding in the nesting box, that all depends on the gals. Mine don't go in the boxes unless they are laying so I don't have to even change it unless it is just old.

4. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    I tried out that squatting experiment. I had Fiona, Amelia, and Melody(second youngest) cornered to try petting them. I petted Fiona, and she squatted several times, Amelia did the same, and Melody did not. I'm wondering if this is "the squat." Clara is a challenge to get so I didn't bother with her.

5. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Two of mine got really red in the faces, and began doing that squatting thing when I went to pet them. A week later, I found an egg.

6. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    Well I checked Fiona and Clara's pelvic bones and I could barley fit 2 fingers. I guess I still have a week to wait?

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Usually when they start squatting for you it will be within the next week or days from that. Squatting had always been my BIG sign that eggs were comming! I have two 6 month olds not squatting yet so I know its not close yet. But as soon as they start squatting for you celebrate because eggs are very close!

8. Studio2770

Apr 29, 2013
    The only way I can pet them is when I have them trapped in the run.[​IMG]Here they are today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    I ruined my wife's childhood memory when she told me she trained her chickens to squat down when she went to pick them up. I explained the natural squatting of the chickens and then showed her that ours do it too as they matured. My 8yo and 10 yo now think they trained our chickens to squat so they can be picked up easily. One day, their husbands can explain the behavior to them. LOL

10. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    That's too funny! I had a chicken babysitter while I was on vacation, and when I came back the chickens were squatting. They had never done this for me before, and I thought it was something the babysitter did. But, now I know it's just natural, and I am getting blue and pink eggs from my Easter Eggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by