How close to laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by m_shuman, Aug 1, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    My leghorn hen hasn't been doing egg squats but yesterday and today I witnessed her letting the roosters mount her without a fight. How long before she starts laying?

2. redeye roy

redeye roy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    pray to the "GIANT EGG" an it will happen:eek:

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    There's no real time when that happens after mating:( I can tell you that's when I get excited!! Months go by and nothing..then out of no where they get mated..my goodies are coming my goodies are coming [​IMG] Id say within 2 weeks or so??? Thats how long it took for all my girls in that situation.. Hey you should count down starting today and see how long it took to get your first egg then post it back on here!!!!

4. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I got my first egg today! I don't think it was from the leghorn though maybe one of my BA's because it is brown unless my suspicion has been confirmed and my leghorn isn't really a leghorn but a Deleware that was sold as a Leghorn! She has black tali feathers and black in her neck feathers. I think the BA's are still to young to lay because they are only around 18 weeks but who knows their combs are getting red?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by