How close to YOUR house...?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sparkles2307, Apr 2, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I have been excitedly drawing up plans, planning flower boxes, and laying out my chicken moat design for the last week or so...including deciding WHICH side of the garden to build the coop on. Now, in our back yard, there is this terrible little yard shed, which is good enough to be used, but my DH's ex father in law built it and it is an eyesore! I do not WANT to draw attention to it, I want to build my coop and garden in a way that they block the view and draw the eye away from this atrocious little beast of a garden shed.
    DH decided to TELL me how the coop will be built and WHERE it will be set in the yard... same DH who said he didnt want anything tod o with my project and that it was MY project...
    My plan was to build it about 15 feet from the back of the house. We have our bedroom on the back, and the back door into the garage... he says that is too close and he wont have chicken stink wafting into our bedroom...

How close to YOUR house is your coop and is my idea too close? The wind is always from the south and the coop would be north of the house.[​IMG]

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Mine is about 10 feet from my house, without any problems. You will be just fine.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    if you keep you coop clean there will not be any smell, and keeping it dry is the key

4. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    I'm not sure exactly but we either bought the 50 or 75 foot extension cord and it has a little slack in it. I'd not build close to the house.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    This is how close our coop is to the house:

[​IMG]

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    My coop is not too far from my house but close enough that it takes less than a minute to get to it. People that come over have no idea that we have chickens actually unless we show them.

Our coop is behind my DH shop. He made the back wall of the shop the back wall of the coop. It's a good sized coop even. We have 7 very comfortable chickens in it right now. We'll be building another coop to house my EE babies that are due to hatch on the 18th of this month. Well...actually it will be closer to May before we do this. We're not sure yet where this one will go.

7. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    our coop is an attached barn...as in attached to the house [​IMG] no smell troubles so far I actually love the smell of the hay, shavings and chickens in there. Very grounding! [​IMG]

8. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Yeah thats my thoughts too... we raised ducks and turkeys at the same time as chickens, and really, compared to those two, chickens smell good!

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My coop is roughly 45 ft away and have not had any problems with odors. Like everyone else says, try to keep it dry and lime or Stall dry it down when it does get wet and you could not clean it up at that time.

And they do attract flies and rodents!

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My back yard is only about 40' deep. The duck pen is behind the shed about...ohh...30' from the house?

It's a good idea to have the coop within extension cord range just in case.

Like others have said, it only smells if you aren't cleaning it properly or bad weather is making things difficult.

Buff, I love your set-up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by