How cold for frostbite?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by desertgirl, Dec 8, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    How cold is a risk for frostbite? Just curious-I don't think we are even close at this point, but I would like to know just for reference

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It depends. With high humidity or in a draft, they are at risk any time below freezing. With low humidity and no draft, they should be Ok down to single digits Fahrenheit. Of course, some breeds are more at risk than others. Small tight combs and wattles are less at risk than large floppy combs and wattles, so especially watch your roosters.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What Ridgerunner said. Humidity is a particularly big factor, be it from weather or (not uncommonly) from people shutting the coop up pretty tight in a reasonable-but-counterproductive effort to conserve heat.

It seems to me that all other things being equal, long thin sort of 'filamentous' comb points are more prone to frostbite than comb points that are more of a broad triangle (did that description make sense?)

Pat

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree with Pat. Keeping moisture down is the key to avoiding frostbite, generally. This is the reason to provide ventilation even in winter and keeping the coop litter dry. If moisture builds up, you can have frostbite before the temps get even close to single digits.

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Thank you! Our coop has great ventilation without being drafty, dry litter, and I live in the high desert, so it sounds like our risk factors are pretty low. Much appreciated! Finally-one thing I won't lose (too much) sleep over!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by