1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how cold hardy are button and Coturnix quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Jan 1, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    what is that lowest temp they handle. the average low is 36 degrees F. and i will cover them and uncover during the day

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Buttons Are Not Cold Hardy At All. As Long As Your Coturnix Are Given An Area To Get Out Of The Wind They Should Be Fine

3. HGBF

HGBF Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2010
    Quote:36 degrees F, should be fine for coturnix if covered. Mine have been fine, covered at around 22 degrees F.
    It's going down to the teens here the next few days. I will advise if something bad happens.

Buttons, I'm not sure about. Never raised them, but I think most people bring them indoors in the winter months.

4. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    It's been in the teens here. The cortunix prefer to sit in the open 'fresh air' end of the cage in the cold. They have an indoor area, but they seem to only go in for food & water.
    My buttons are inside. They are in a home office room separate from our 'regular' living space. My kids shut the door to the office a couple weeks ago. It didn't get any heat & the indoor temps dropped to the low 40s for about 28 hours. The sudden temp drop caused all my buttons to stop laying. I also found one curled up in the cage with its mate... the male had died. I don't think it was able to keep warm enough. That particular cage was near the window... probably a little cooler there. Now my buttons have heat lamps on at all times to keep an ambient temp - just in case.

ETA: I don't think I'd put birds out in the cold if they aren't used to being in the cold. If the change is sudden, they may not adjust well. Also... They need to be fully feathered out before going out at all. You may need to give them a lamp for warmth if they are used to being indoors.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  5. jetto

jetto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Huron County, Ohio
    It was 12 F. here last time I went out to the barn. The Coturnix were fine. One even had the ambition to hop out of the pen while I was breaking ice out of the waterer. Silly bird. They do enjoy the little hay piles I put in the pens for them during the bad cold snaps like this one and the scratch grains also. Spoiled birds. [​IMG]
    Kristi

6. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Quote:Why do you feed inside? I'm building my first quail pen and hadn't planned on feeding and watering inside. It gets cold here - single digits.

7. Paganbird

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Quote:Why do you feed inside? I'm building my first quail pen and hadn't planned on feeding and watering inside. It gets cold here - single digits.

It's just how the pen is set up. It's a raised wire pen about 4x10 that has about 4x8 framed with hardware cloth and about 4x2 that is enclosed (plywood walls) with a pop door in between. It's covered with corrugated plastic roofing. The whole thing is about 4 feet off the ground. The wire section has an access door, but it is metal & gets frozen. The enclosed section has a wooden access door - it's just easier for me to use, that's all. Also, the water doesn't freeze as quickly inside and the feed lasts longer since it doesn't fall through the wire when they dig in it.
    The pen is outside the barn against the southern wall. They do just fine in the cold & snow. Like I mentioned before, they seem to prefer to be out in the 'open' end... unless it's feeding time!
    I might be able to go out in the morning & take a picture, if you're interested. I also have my peafowl in a similar type of pen, but they are inside the barn. They don't like the cold or the snow.

8. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg

It's just how the pen is set up. It's a raised wire pen about 4x10 that has about 4x8 framed with hardware cloth and about 4x2 that is enclosed (plywood walls) with a pop door in between. It's covered with corrugated plastic roofing. The whole thing is about 4 feet off the ground. The wire section has an access door, but it is metal & gets frozen. The enclosed section has a wooden access door - it's just easier for me to use, that's all. Also, the water doesn't freeze as quickly inside and the feed lasts longer since it doesn't fall through the wire when they dig in it.
    The pen is outside the barn against the southern wall. They do just fine in the cold & snow. Like I mentioned before, they seem to prefer to be out in the 'open' end... unless it's feeding time!
    I might be able to go out in the morning & take a picture, if you're interested. I also have my peafowl in a similar type of pen, but they are inside the barn. They don't like the cold or the snow.

Good to know! I will be trying to raise courtnix very soon here, I hope they little guys like snow as we get it 6 months out of the year!

9. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Pagangirl - I would realy likt to see pictures. It seems there are tons of pics of chicken coops on this site but few of quail pens.

10. Paganbird

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Quote:I'll try to get out later today. It's about 12 degrees and snowing like crazy here. If I took a pic right now... all you'd see is white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by