How cold is to cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flasunshine, Nov 7, 2007.

1. flasunshine

flasunshine Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    We live in central Florida and have 2 RIR. They are kept in the coop at night covered with a tarp. How far down does the temp have to go before we need to change things for them? I don't want them to freeze to death! Living in Florida that doesn't happen very often. ( The freeze part that is )

2. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    Where you live they should be fine with just a tarp.
    As long as they are dry and have a windbreak.

3. We lived in polk city fla before moving to tennessee, and my son had 1 chicken that he claimed was his pet bird. I kept her in a wooden coop behind the storage shed but let her run free in the day time. She finally died of old age, but we loved her and enjoyed her all her life. Try some hay for her to huddle in

Mother to 24 RIR's,1pit bull,1poodle mix 1 yorkie and 1 cat

4. CrazyChikNLady

CrazyChikNLady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2007
    Burlington, Mi
    I have been wondering this myself however I am located in Michigan. This is my first winter with chickens. Right now I have 26 3 week old babies out in the barn and all of my hens. My hens have a coop with wide roosts and bedded bottom. It is windproof but will that be enough? My babies have a 100 wt bulb and a 150 wt flood bulb. Here are a couple pix of both setups.

This is my hen house. They are freerange and can go in and out. The bottom is closed.
    [​IMG]

This is a corner in our barn I boxed in, it has a door that closes.

[​IMG]

It has been getting cold at night. I have a digital thermometer that I can read inside in their nest which stays around 70 and no lower than 60.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by