how cold is too cold for a duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by itsasmallfarm, Jan 11, 2017.

1. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    hello everyone

am looking at getting some ducks this year but i have one issue, i plan on raising them through the winter (a Canadian winter) and i am not sure weather or not to build a heated coop for them (i have an old pheasant one and plan on using it) , today was minus 49C or negative 56.2F this morning (one of the coldest days we have had), the ducks am looking at getting are two calls, 1 Indian runner, 1 khaki Campbell and 1 welsh harlequin. but would it be too cold for them with out heat (i plan on getting a heated water for them to drink from but that would be it)

thanks for any help :)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Short answer - yes that would be too cold for them without heat.

Nice choice of breeds, by the way.
    [​IMG]

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I am also in Canada.....Yep....That is too cold....I bring my Ducks into my garage when the temps drop below -25C....I will be getting my Husband to build a heated building for them this spring...Currently they sleep in an insulated Dog house filled with straw...Also I have vapour barrier plastic around my run to block out the wind and snow, tarp on the roof......Straw down in the run....

Cheers!

4. itsasmallfarm

Oct 27, 2016
    thank you :)
    thank you :)

okay here is a question? could i say use a greenhouse to keep them warm(with proper ventilation)? (with out power of course) by getting away with solar to keep it warm during the day, (with poly or green house wrap of some sort), using heat sinks to keep it warm at night and using manure and rabbits as well as a source of heat? again keeping in mind of proper ventilation and space requirements for them. but also could i grow cool weather crops with them? (if it stays warm enough) to help supply some feed for them.

thank you for all your help so far. :)

5. chickens really

6. itsasmallfarm

Oct 27, 2016
    thank you i hope this idea would work, i would love to grow fresh greens along side my ducks (to give them a treat once in a while) heck if it works so well maybe i will set up a recirculating aquaculture system in the green house (oh well one can dream)

7. chickens really

1 person likes this.
  8. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    That sounds cool!

Ps. Ducks love dandelion leaves, that's what I would grow for em ;)

2 people like this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have also thought I'd like a small greenhouse or maybe a simple low tunnel in the day pen to give the ducks a reasonably warm place to go, non-electric!

10. itsasmallfarm

Oct 27, 2016
    hey everyone am going to also post this in the turkey section but do you think the green house idea would also work with turkeys? (i plan on raising a lot of birds for meat and eggs)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by